Turning stateside, we have Scotts Miracle-Gro (SMG). Following another strong rally that sent shares of Scotts up more than 15% in the last six months, this stock hit its head on $54 resistance and reversed down to support at $49. But sitting at that support level didn't last for long, and soon shares were retesting resistance once again.
Now, with a sort of bizarre cup and handle forming in shares of Scotts, traders will want to watch for this third test of resistance.
A few factors bode well for a new test of resistance in Scotts. First is the series of higher lows that form the "handle" in shares. Then there's the added support at the 50-day moving average, presently around $51. Even so, I wouldn't suggest going long until shares actually sustain a break above $54. Until then, Scotts could just as easily fail at resistance for a third time.To see these plays in action, check out the Technical Setups for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV