For Brazilian fuel distributor Ultrapar Participacoes (UGP), the last year has been a strong one for shareholders. All told, shares of the company have rallied 40% in the trailing 12 months, current 2.35% dividend yield excluded. But while UGP is hitting its head on resistance right now, there appears to be some near-term upside in shares.
Shares of UGP initially hit $66 resistance back in October 2010. Since then, they've managed to hit that level two other times, bouncing back to support just below $60 each time. But it's that predictable support and resistance channel that sets UGP up as a high-probability technical setup this week. Now that the stock has bounced down to support, this could be a strong buy on a bounce.
If you're considering taking this trade, wait for the first white bar before going long. This trade doesn't make sense until support gets confirmed once again at $59 and change. When the bounce does happen, consider a protective stop just below support. That keeps your risk to less than 2%, while the $66 price target suggests 10% upside in the next month.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV