McDonald's said comparable same-store sales -- or sales at stores open at least one year, a key metric in the restaurant industry -- jumped 3.1% in the U.S. in January. Comps in Europe surged 7% while same-store sales in McDonald's Asia/Pacific, Middle East and Africa (APMEA) region rose 5.2%.
Systemwide sales in January increased 7.4%, or 6.7% in constant currencies, McDonald's said Tuesday.McDonald's said U.S. strength reflected the brand's everyday accessibility to American consumers, including its beverage lineup of products like its McCafe premium hot chocolate and Caramel Mochas, the popularity of Chicken McNuggets, and the nationwide launch of Fruit & Maple Oatmeal. European strength was led by demand for McDonald's products in Germany, the U.K., France and Russia, where its breakfast and drive-through services were popular. McDonald's said improved results the APMEA region were driven by positive results in China, Japan and Australia, where customers enjoyed locally-relevant menu items. Better-than-expected January comps led investors to bid McDonald's shares 3.3% higher to $75.86 in morning trading Tuesday. In its recent quarter,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV