6. American States Water (AWR), a holding company, purchases, distributes and sells water.
Analysts polled by Bloomberg expect the company to report earnings of 46 cents per share for 2010 fourth quarter, compared to 18 cents and 30 cents per share reported for the year-ago and quarter-ago periods, respectively. For the full year, analysts foresee the company reporting earnings per share of $1.89 for 2010, $2.17 for 2011 and $2.30 for 2012, in comparison to earnings of $1.62 per share reported for 2009.
At $33.7, the stock is trading at a lower price-to-earnings multiple of 17.7, compared to its peers. Aqua America, Artesian Resources, SJW, and Pennichuck (PNNW) are trading at PE multiples of 25.8, 18.4, 24.8 and 33.6, respectively. In addition, American States Water's EV-to-EBITDA ratio of 7.8 is below that of its competitors.
Of the five analysts covering the stock, one recommends buying, three rate holding and one suggests selling. The stock's average price target, based on analysts surveyed by Bloomberg, is $39.5, about 17% higher than the current level.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV