NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The S&P 500 Index has gained 4.9% so far in 2011, while the Dow Jones Utilities Average (XME) advanced 2.2%. Overall, utility stocks are less volatile because of stable cash flows and provide limited upside, or downside, in comparison to other sectors.
For instance, upsides for industry majors such as Southern Company (SO), Exelon (EXC), Dominion Resources (D), Duke Energy (DUK), NextEra Energy (NEE), PG&E (PCG), American Electric Power (AEP) and Spectra Energy (SE) are expected in the range of -3% to 9% over the next 12 months, according to consensus estimates of analysts surveyed by Bloomberg.
Nonetheless, the following 10 utility stocks with an upside range of 14%-65% will likely outperform their peers, according to analysts' estimates of 12-month target prices. Most of these stocks have superior buy and hold ratings, compared to peers. In addition to growth potential, these stocks offer high dividend yields relative to several other sectors.
However, rising energy costs will likely moderate dividends of electric utility companies. To sustain profits and for higher dividend yields, utility companies may seek mergers and acquisitions. Last month, Duke Energy announced to buy Progress Energy (PGN) for $13.7 billion in stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV