Sara Lee's net income rose 137% to $880 million, or $1.37 per share, compared with $371 million, or 53 cents per share, in the year-earlier quarter.
Sara Lee's adjusted quarterly earnings fell to 24 cents per share, from 27 cents, when excluding one-time items, including an 84-cent gain related to the sale of its global body care and European detergents businesses in December and a 35-cent tax benefit related to the sale of its North American Fresh Bakery business.Despite the adjustments, bottom-line results missed expectations for earnings of 25 cents per share. Analysts typically exclude such extraordinary items when forecasting estimates. Top-line sales of $2.35 billion, down slightly year-over-year from revenue of $2.36 billion, also missed expectations even as Sara Lee saw strength in its core North American retail and international beverage units. Disappointed investors bid Sara Lee shares 0.5% lower to $16.84 in early trading Tuesday, though the company reaffirmed its 2011 earnings and revenue guidance. Sara Lee said its weaker-than-expected results in the recent quarter reflected higher food costs, which offset higher prices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV