Sara Lee's net income rose 137% to $880 million, or $1.37 per share, compared with $371 million, or 53 cents per share, in the year-earlier quarter.
Sara Lee's adjusted quarterly earnings fell to 24 cents per share, from 27 cents, when excluding one-time items, including an 84-cent gain related to the sale of its global body care and European detergents businesses in December and a 35-cent tax benefit related to the sale of its North American Fresh Bakery business.Despite the adjustments, bottom-line results missed expectations for earnings of 25 cents per share. Analysts typically exclude such extraordinary items when forecasting estimates. Top-line sales of $2.35 billion, down slightly year-over-year from revenue of $2.36 billion, also missed expectations even as Sara Lee saw strength in its core North American retail and international beverage units. Disappointed investors bid Sara Lee shares 0.5% lower to $16.84 in early trading Tuesday, though the company reaffirmed its 2011 earnings and revenue guidance. Sara Lee said its weaker-than-expected results in the recent quarter reflected higher food costs, which offset higher prices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV