SEI Quick Poll: Pension Sponsors Identify Controlling Volatility, Establishing Long-Term Strategies As Top Priorities For 2011
OAKS, Pa., Feb. 8, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- An SEI (Nasdaq: SEIC) Quick Poll released today found that, for the second consecutive year, pension plan sponsors say their number one priority for the coming year is finding a way to control funded status volatility. Four out of five (84 percent) poll participants view this as a priority, with more than three-quarters (76 percent) identifying it as a "high priority," making it the highest ranked priority in the entire poll.
"Effectively addressing this year's priorities will be no easy task for pension plan sponsors. Pension management is a complex set of moving parts and the priorities identified in this poll are a sign that executives overseeing these plans are taking a more holistic view," said Jon Waite, Director, Investment Management Advice and Chief Actuary, SEI's Institutional Group. "We're seeing an encompassing high level priority of 'regaining control' and many plan sponsors are looking externally for expertise and new techniques to get this accomplished."
While controlling funded status volatility came in as the top priority, providing senior management with a long-term pension strategy took second, moving up one spot from last year, with more than three-quarters (76 percent) of participants listing this as a top priority.
The top 10 priorities are as follows:
- Controlling funded status volatility
- Providing senior management with long-term pension strategies
- Improving plan's funded status
- Conducting an asset-liability study
- Effectively managing duration moving forward
- Implementing a Liability-Driven Investing (LDI) approach using long-duration bonds
- Defining fiduciary responsibilities for trustees and investment consultants
- Changing funding policies and timelines
- Stress-testing the portfolio to gauge its ability to withstand extreme macroeconomic environments
- Implementing a plan design change, such as closing the plan to new entrants or freezing accruals in already closed plans
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV