But in the case of the 2011 Super Bowl, one ad rose above the clutter to make a statement about a product, a city and a state of mind. That was the Chrysler "Born of Fire" ad.
If you haven't seen it, take a look, because it has a lot to say and has Eminem to say it. "This is the Motor City -- this is what we do," he proclaims at the end of it.
The ad says that Detroit is back, obviously a positive sign for the U.S. economy, because Detroit is the center of the country's largest manufacturing industry.That's not just Chrysler, but Ford (F) and GM (GM) too. Their spirits have recovered and their stocks have recovered too, once again making millions of people rich. Their re-emergence took place in a gritty city that almost failed. But now the grit has enough glitter that some can rub off on the image of a new luxury car, the Chrysler 200. "What does a town that's been to hell and back know about the finer things in life?" the narrator asks, before responding: "More than most. You see, it's the hottest fire that makes the hardest steel ...When it comes to luxury, it's as much about where it's from as who it's for." The ad also makes the point that even thought it has a European owner, Chrysler wants to be recognized as one of the Detroit Three. In the U.S. auto industry today, the Big Three includes Toyota (TM). But to the extent that Detroit is king, Chrysler is one of its three kings. "If you thought Chrysler's Fiat managers would go all gelato and Pellegrino water on us, think again," said Automotive News Monday, reviewing the ad. "This could be one of those moments when a brand starts to define itself."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV