1. JPMorgan Chase (JPM), like Citigroup, is a diversified financial-services company, albeit one with a better track record and reputation.
JPMorgan's fourth-quarter adjusted earnings rose 84% to $1.12, beating analysts' consensus forecast by 12%. Its top-line tally, up 13%, exceeded expectations by 7.8%. The bank is lending more. Loans grew 1%, up in five of six business units. Trading revenue was down 8%. The bank's net interest margin, at just below 2.9%, missed Wall Street's target of 3%. Still, the quarter was considered an overwhelming positive, with JPMorgan topping the investment-bank league tables for global fees, even though its operating profit dropped 24%.
JPMorgan's retail and card-services businesses swung to profits from year-earlier losses. Amid a strengthening recovery, diversified financial stocks have fallen out of favor, but JPMorgan is expected to more than double its dividend in 2011. Based on aggregate ratings, JPMorgan is analysts' favorite Dow component. It receives 28 "buy" recommendations and five "hold" calls. No researchers rank JPMorgan "sell." Although Goldman rates the stock "buy", its $54 target is below the median, at $54.29. Barclays forecasts that the stock will rise 32% to $60 in 12 months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV