4. Blackstone (BX) is an alternative-investment company, structured as a publicly traded partnership, which invests roughly $104 billion of fee-generating assets in private equity, real estate and hedge funds. The firm also has an advisory unit, offering merger and acquisition, restructuring and reorganization assistance. It's currently overseen by billionaire investor Stephen Schwarzman.
Goldman expects several of Blackstone's funds to surpass so-called high-water marks and to resume charging performance fees in 2011. Furthermore, It thinks funds could attract another $7 billion. Blackstone reported quarterly results Feb. 3.
Blackstone posted fourth-quarter economic net income, profit excluding taxes and certain charges, of 46 cents a share, beating Goldman's estimate of 30 cents. On a GAAP basis, the company's loss decreased 92% to $11 million, or three cents a share, from $143 million, or 46 cents, a year earlier. Its 32 cent distribution beat Goldman's forecast of 24 cents. Goldman boosted its price target to $20 in reaction to the report. It now expects 86 cents of 2011 distributions, equivalent to a yield of more than 5%. Goldman says Blackstone is "in the sweet spot for both growth and income (from rising distributions amid portfolio realizations) and we still see room for further multiple expansion."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV