Egypt Protests Persist for 14th Day
Wael Ghonim, Google's (GOOG) Middle East executive, was detained by the Egyptian government last week during the riots. He has not been heard from since Jan. 25, when he tweeted, "Pray for #Egypt. Very worried as it seems that government is planning a war crime tomorrow against people. We are all ready to die."
Reuters reports the U.S. State Department has been informed by a relative of Ghonim that he has been released in Egypt, a senior U.S. official said Monday.
Journalists covering the revolution in Egypt are also being targeted for assaults, according to multiple media reports.
"After shutting down the Internet and then reconnecting it at the start of this week, the regime has decided to target media personnel physically by unleashing its supporters in an unprecedented campaign of hatred and violence," Reporters Without Borders Secretary General Jean-François Julliard said in a statement last week. "This has gone beyond censorship. This is now about ridding Cairo of all journalists working for foreign news media."CNN talk show host Anderson Cooper reported he was attacked by rioters in Egypt. He decided to leave the country on Saturday, he said on Twitter. "It is with a heavy heart that I have decided to leave #Egypt. CNN continues to have many teams in place. It was a hard decision to leave," @andersoncooper tweeted. Protests throughout Cairo, Alexandria, and other Egyptian cities are now in their 14th day as demonstrators hope to force Mubarak's immediate resignation. -- Written by Theresa McCabe in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Theresa McCabe. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to @TheresaMcCabe. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV