Egypt Protests Persist for 14th Day
|Thousands of anti-government protesters gather in Tahrir Square in Cairo, Egypt on Monday.|
Egypt vice president Omar Suleiman met with the leaders of major opposition groups on Sunday to offer concessions aimed at resolving the country's political crisis, such as freedom of the press, the release of those detained and the removal of the country's widely contested emergency laws.
Suleiman vowed to organize a committee to focus on Egyptian constitutional reforms regarding who can run for president as well as term limits on future presidencies, the Associated Press reported.But it seems that protestors and opposition groups won't be satisfied until President Hosni Mubarak resigns. "People still want the president to step down," protest organizer Mostafa al-Naggar was quoted by the AP as saying. "The protest continues because there are no guarantees and not all demands have been met," he added. "We did not sign on to the statement. This is a beginning of a dialogue. We approve the positive things in the statement but ... we are still demanding that the president step down." Mubarak named a new cabinet on Jan. 30 in an effort to pacify the riots. But the new lineup, dominated by regime stalwarts, seemed to do little to mollify the Egyptian people. Mubarak also said last week that neither he nor his son, Gamal, would seek the presidency in the fall. Mubarak said he would complete his term to ensure a peaceful transition of power, but many protesters want him out sooner. Protesters continued to crowd the streets of Cairo on Sunday, a day that was dubbed the Sunday of Martyrs. Anti-government protesters are calling for additional concessions from the regime and for Mubarak to resign immediately.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV