But there are other, less-obvious stocks that stand to gain when the Verizon iPhone sales launch opens to the general public on Thursday morning.
Verizon, which enjoyed record sales on its first day of iPhone pre-orders last week, could impact a host of networking companies, said Mark McKechnie, a telecom equipment analyst at Gleacher & Company.
"Ericsson (ERIC), Juniper (JNPR) and Cisco (CSCO) will tangentially benefit from the increased traffic," he told TheStreet. "A smartphone probably uses ten times the bandwidth of a feature phone and the iPhone is at the high end of that -- Verizon is already talking about throttling back [heavy users of data]."McKechnie said that Ericsson is well-positioned thanks to its base stations and back-haul networking infrastructure, while Cisco and Juniper could enjoy increasing demand for their routers and switches. >>Verizon iPhone: Buy Now or Later?
Mike Walkley, an analyst at Canaccord Genuity, thinks that Ericsson, in particular, will benefit from Verizon increasing its network capacity, along with wireless equipment specialist Powerwave (PWAV) and Alacatel-Lucent (ALU). Alcatel-Lucent recently clinched a $4 billion contract with Verizon Wireless to support its 3G network expansion and the telco's 4G build-out. Ericsson is also working with Verizon around 4G, while Powerwave is said to provide the telecom giant with broadband antennas and amplifiers. Powerwave has not yet responded to TheStreet's request for comment on this story.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV