Updated from 11 a.m. EST.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- "Egypt protests" is a trending search topic on Monday as anti-government demonstrations continue to rock the nation.
Wael Ghonim, Google's (GOOG) Middle East executive, was detained by the Egyptian government last week during the riots.
Reuters reports the U.S. State Department has been informed by a relative of Ghonim that he has been released in Egypt, a senior U.S. official said Monday.He had not been heard from since Jan. 25, when he tweeted, "Pray for #Egypt. Very worried as it seems that government is planning a war crime tomorrow against people. We are all ready to die." Protesters continued to crowd the streets of Cairo on Feb. 6, a day that was dubbed the Sunday of Martyrs. Anti-government protesters are calling for additional concessions from the regime and for President Hosni Mubarak to resign immediately.
"Stock prices" is a heavily searched topic as stocks were rising on Monday on a slew of new deals. Danaher (DHR) has agreed to buy Beckman Coulter (BEC) for about $6.8 billion, or $83.50 a share. AOL (AOL) agreed to acquire the online news site The Huffington Post for $315 million. Through the deal, the site's co-founder and editor-in-chief Arianna Huffington will be named president and editor-in-chief of The Huffington Post Media Group, which will integrate all Huffington Post and AOL content. Ensco struck a deal to buy Pride International (PDE) for $41.60 a share in cash and stock.
The chatter on Main Street (a.k.a. Google) is always of interest to investors on Wall Street. Thus, each day, TheStreet compiles the stories that are trending on Google, and highlights the news that could make stocks move. --Written by Theresa McCabe in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Theresa McCabe. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to @TheresaMcCabe. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV