China MediaExpress CEO Fires Back at Critics
In his response letter, Cheng asserted that China MediaExpress does indeed have 27,200 buses under contract, and that the company will engage a professional third party to verify that fact. Cheng argues that the spread sheets on which Muddy Waters purports to rely appear to be authored by an individual unknown to the company and don't match the company's.
Cheng also notes that China MediaExpress announced its December 2010 contract with Eading Group, which it says is one of Apple's official distributors in China to advertise Apple products, including the iPad.
In direct response to the accusation that China MediaExpress is a fraud, Cheng says the company "is strong and doing well," and that revenue and cash positions have been audited, although he doesn't provide additional confirmation.
Like several other Chinese reverse merger stocks, China MediaExpress has seen its share price shredded by multiple accusations of fraud. Despite the rebound Monday, shares of China MediaExpress are down nearly 28% over the past five trading sessions.Other Chinese reverse mergers, including Rino International (RINO.PK), Orient Paper (ONP), China Green Agriculture (CGA) and China Education Alliance (CEU) have been slammed by critics over similar claims that filings made in the U.S. contain questionable or misleading financial statements. In December, TheStreet reported that the Securities and Exchange Commission is focusing on stock promoters, investment bankers, auditors and law firms that have been active in recruiting Chinese companies to U.S. stock exchanges and raising capital for those companies by selling new shares. -- Written by Robert Holmes in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Robert Holmes. >To follow Robert Holmes on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/RobTheStreet. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV