Stocks Finish Strong on Deals News
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stocks finished higher Monday, propelled by a flurry of deals news, strong earnings and signs of economic activity returning to normal in Egypt.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 69 points, or 0.6%, at 12,161 after rising as high as 12,189 earlier in the session. The S&P 500 was higher by 8 points, or 0.6%, at 1,319, and the Nasdaq was ahead by 15 points, or 0.5% at 2,784.
Capital goods, conglomerates and financial sectors led the rally, while energy stocks underperformed.Bank of America (BAC), American Express (AXP), and JPMorgan (JPM) topped the Dow while Pfizer (PFE), Kraft Foods (KFT), and Verizon (VZ) were among the biggest laggards. About 1.7 billion shares traded on the Nasdaq, while 877 million shares changed hands on the New York Stock Exchange. Market breadth was positive with 2 out of every three stocks traded on the NYSE closing higher. Monday's session brought a spate of deals news, including Danaher's (DHR)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV