NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Over C$70 billion in hybrid capital will need to be unwound in order for Canadian banks to comply with new rules set down by international bank supervisors, according to the country's financial regulator.
Canada's "Big Five" banks -- which include Royal Bank of Canada (RY), Toronto Dominion Bank (TD), Bank of Nova Scotia, Bank of Montreal (BMO) and Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CM) -- will all need to recapitalize according to rules set by international regulators through Basel III, the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions announced on Friday.
According to the OSFI existing hybrid structures used by many Canadian banks as Tier 1 capital, such as "capital trust units", do not qualify for relief under Basel III and will need to replaced with more conservative holdings. Analysts estimate at least C$70 billion ($71 billion) in bank capital is held in non-qualifying structures, according to published reports.
The Canadian regulator said conversion to Basel III-approved holdings will need to begin in 2013 and be completed by 2023. Banks have the option of redeeming existing holdings prior to 2023, but they will need to seek regulatory approval, according to the OFSI.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV