Updated from 4:43 a.m EST
As part of the deal, Arianna Huffington, The Huffington Post's co-founder and editor-in-chief, will be named president and editor-in-chief of The Huffington Post Media Group, which will integrate all Huffington Post and AOL content.
AOL said about $300 million of the transaction price will be funded from cash on hand.The boards of both companies have approved the transaction, as have The Huffington Post's shareholders. The transaction is expected to close in the late first quarter or early second quarter. The price that AOL is paying is "really just the hiring fee to get Arianna," technology analyst Rob Enderle told the Associated Press. "This is one of those out-of-left-field moves that actually makes a lot of sense. This could put AOL back on the map." The new group will have a combined base of 117 million unique visitors a month in the United States and 270 million around the world, according to a press release from the two companies. The Huffington Post is a top 10 Web site for current events and global news. Arianna Huffington and AOL CEO Tim Armstrong reportedly signed the deal during the Super Bowl Sunday in Dallas. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV