File, Suspend Gets Spouses Most SSA Benefits
NEW BERLIN, Ill. ( TheStreet) -- You may have heard of the file and suspend tactic for Social Security, but do you know how it works? Or for that matter, why it is important?
Any worker can establish a benefit amount by applying at any time after full retirement age -- but he or she doesn't have to continue getting that benefit. The worker can immediately suspend the receipt of benefits, which may seem crazy but actually builds a "base" for the worker's spouse to begin getting benefits based upon that amount.
Here's an example:
A woman is at full retirement age and her spouse is the same age. Since the spouse of the worker has a much lower benefit available based on his own record, he is looking forward to using his wife's earnings record to get a spousal benefit, which can be as much as 50% of his wife's benefit.
|Delaying receipt of a higher-earning spouse's Social Security benefit can reap rewards for the couple.|
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV