Borders Gets Delisting Notice
In early December, hedge fund manager Bill Ackman, whose Pershing Square Capital Management owns securities representing a 41.8% stake in Borders, offered to finance an acquisition by the company of rival Barnes & Noble (BKS). The cash-and-stock deal envisioned then would have valued Barnes & Noble common shares at $16 each but it never seemed to get off the ground.
In its Form 8-K related to the delisting notice, Borders notes that following the occurrence of an actual "delisting event" -- as stipulated by the agreement related to its issuance of warrants to acquire roughly 26 million of its common shares to Pershing Square back in April 2008 -- the hedge fund has the right to require the company to redeem the warrants for their prevailing cash value, as determined by an independent appraiser.
Borders is currently slated to report its fiscal fourth-quarter results on March 28.
--Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV