KV Pharma, Silverleaf: Small-Cap Winners
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of specialty pharma company KV Pharmaceutical (KV-A) were zooming over 150% to $3.85 after U.S. regulators approved its drug, Makena, used to reduce the risk of preterm birth in women with a history of going into labor earlier than 37 weeks. Over 11 million shares were changing hands in afternoon trading.
Shares of timeshare operator Silverleaf (SVLF) soared 70% to $2.44 after hedge fund Cerberus Capital said it would buy the company for $94 million, a 75% premium to its previous day's closing price.
Fremont, California-based Opnext (OPXT) saw its share spurt 30% to $2.62 after it said its losses narrowed in the fiscal third quarter and issued an upbeat forecast for the fourth quarter.
Shares of Orexigen Therapeutics (OREX) were once again attracting buying interest. The stock crashed over 70% earlier this week after regulators rejected its obesity drug. But shares were climbing 17% on Friday to $3.46.China MediaExpress (CCME) denied a short-seller's allegations of fraud late Thursday. Muddy Waters Research, which has a short position in the stock, had accused the company of engaging in a massive pump and dump scheme. Shares were surging Friday by nearly 20% to $13.50 after plunging by 33% on Thursday. Shares of Silicon Image (SIMG) jumped 15% to $8.87 after its results and first quarter forecasts beat estimates. Shares of Evergreen Energy (EEE), Cirrus Logic (CRUS) and video services provider Harmonic (HLIT) were also prominent gainers in the small-cap sector on Friday trading. -- Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV