SEATTLE ( TheStreet) -- Wall Street has found a new airline to love.
"Believe It Or Not, An Airline That Earned Its Cost of Capital; Bravo!," was the title of CRT Capital Group analyst Mike Derchin's report on
(ALK), after the carrier reported fourth-quarter results, which showed a return on invested capital of 10.7% and also
Alaska shares are up about 6% this year after rising 62% in 2010.But it's not just financial metrics that are benefiting perceptions of Alaska. Mergers have been reducing the number of airlines; once the merger between Southwest (LUV) and AirTran (AAI) is completed, Alaska will become the seventh biggest U.S. carrier. That brings enhanced visibility so that, essentially, Alaska is getting more notice exactly at the time when its performance has reached a peak. "We've been the small guy forever," said CEO Bill Ayer, in an interview. "We've had lots of competition (and) done really well against the competition. The future has never been brighter than at this moment. "
|Alaska Airlines CEO Bill Ayer|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV