Jobs Report: Live Blog
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The Labor Department releases its nonfarm payrolls report for January at 8:30 a.m. EDT. As the first employment report of 2011, it is bound to get a lot of attention.
Estimates of job growth in January vary widely, with consensus projections reported by the media also differing considerably, an indication perhaps of last minute revisions. According to consensus estimates from Briefing.com, the economy is expected to have added 148,000 jobs in January, after adding 103,000 jobs in December. Private payrolls are expected to have grown by 163,000.
However, the report could have some noise. The Labor Department announces an annual benchmark revision every year. The preliminary estimate of the benchmark revision indicates a downward adjustment to March 2010 total nonfarm employment of 366,000 (0.3 percent). That changes the month-to-month comparisons for nonfarm payrolls.The December number may have also undergone some revisions since the last report. Weather could have been a constraint on jobs as well. Join our live blog for instant updates on the report. The SPDR Dow Jones Industrial Average (DIA), the SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY) and the PowerShares QQQ (QQQQ) were rising slightly ahead of the report. Wall Street will be watching the results of Aetna (AET), Aon (AON), Fortune Brands (FO) and Tyson Foods (TSN) as the report is released. -- Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV