Minefinders Draws Bullish Options Action
By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
The May 13 calls were at the center of the action, trading in a strong buying pattern for 25 cents to 40 cents. Almost 4,700 of the calls traded against open interest of just 908 contracts at that strike, according to OptionMonster's real-time tracking systems.
Minefinders' stock climbed 6.45% to $10.57 Thursday after the company released strong production numbers. It bounced off the 200-day moving average and was briefly stuck at the 50-day average before breaking through that level as well.The shares need to rally another 26% by expiration for those May 13 calls to turn a profit. The next earnings report is scheduled for Feb. 24. All of the company's mines are in northern Mexico and offer exposure to several commodities. Silver was the big driver last quarter, with production surging 72% in the last quarter of 2010. Gold output dropped but was still ahead of forecasts. Overall option volume in the name was 8 times greater than average. Calls outnumbered puts by 15:1. Najarian has no positions in MFN.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV