SBA Launches Contract Program for Women
WASHINGTON (TheStreet) -- The U.S. Small Business Administration is encouraging more women small-business owners to apply for federal contracts.
The program, called the Woman-Owned Small Business Federal Contract Program, was officially launched today, but has been in the works for several years -- and arrives just as House and Senate committees on small business have launched a critical look at administration programs, hoping to cut its budget and save money.
|Women-owned businesses and economically disadvantaged women-owned businesses must get 5% of federal contracting dollars, according to a go.|
The SBA plans to implement the women's federal contract program over the next several months, the administration says, with plans to award the first contracts by the fourth quarter -- when the largest percent of federal contracts are awarded."Women-owned businesses are one of the fastest-growing sectors of the economy," SBA Administrator Karen Mills said in a statement. "That's why providing them with all the tools necessary to compete for and win federal contracts is so important. Federal contracts can provide women-owned small businesses with the oxygen they need to take their business to the next level." Meanwhile, the administration is to identify by Feb. 10 programs that could be cut or reduced without hurting the SBA's mission, and at least one minority-based program -- for Native American entrepreneurs -- and another helping veterans have been named by a House committee led by Rep. Sam Graves (R-Mo.) as an example of where to look.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV