Business Owners Shy Away From Credit
New federal policies have fallen short, Dennis says, by failing to address underlying real estate and demand problems or to "quickly and effectively aid small businesses in their struggle to grow in the current unfavorable economic conditions."
Dennis continued: "This recovery period will be unique, and we don't expect credit levels to reach the levels they did a decade ago."
The survey was conducted by the Gallup Organization for the NFIB. The results are based on 856 employers that have between one and 250 employees.
While the results of the NFIB's survey may not be shocking -- credit access, particularly for small businesses, has only just begun to ease following the financial crisis -- it does bolster the argument small businesses are still troubled.The report included some other interesting statistics:
- Borrowers' second and third tries at getting credit proved more beneficial even though, typically, credit approval "declines with each consecutive institution approached," the survey said.
- Credit cards were generally easier to get than other forms of credit; 95% of applicants were granted a credit card on the first try.
- Real estate ownership continues to drag on small-business owners' ability to borrow, with 68% of participants having at least one mortgage; 17% at least one second mortgage; and 12% at least one mortgage collateralized.
Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV