NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The following 10 global pharmaceutical stocks will likely benefit from the expanding global pharmaceutical markets, which are poised to grow at 5%-7% in 2011 to $880 billion, according to IMS Health. 17 Pharmemerging markets, including China and India, are forecast to grow at 15%-17% in 2011 to $180 billion, faster than the global markets.
Analysts give these 10 stocks a 100% buy ratings. In comparison, pharma giants Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), Pfizer (PFE), Merck (MRK), Abbott Laboratories (ABT), Bristol Myers Squibb (BMY) and Eli Lilly (LLY) have buy ratings in the range of 8.3%-71.4%.
In addition, analysts expect these 10 stocks to outperform their peers and broader markets, based on the upside implied from their respective 12-month price targets. These stocks have an implied upside potential of 25%-147% with a mean upside value of around 91%.
With five analysts covering the stock, Aegerion Pharmaceuticals (AEGR) has 100% buy ratings, however, we have not included the stock in our discussion since analysts expect the stock to have an upside of only 12%, much lower than the 10 stocks listed here. The other stocks that do not find a place here are AVANIR Pharmaceuticals (AVNR), Somaxon Pharmaceuticals (SOMX), Biostar Pharmaceuticals (BSPM), Threshold Pharmaceuticals (THLD), EpiCept (EPCT), Ventrus Biosciences (VTUS) and Repros Therapeutics (RPRX), even though they are expected to have triple-digit upsides because only a few analysts cover these stocks.The stocks are stacked in an ascending order based on the number of analysts covering each stock and, in case of a tie-up, by implied percentage upside.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV