Net income from continuing operations, excluding items, rose to $625 million, or 47 cents a share, from $286 million, or 18 cents a share, a year earlier.
Sales rose 22% to $13.8 billion on double-digit gains in all geographic areas and in all operating segments except one - sales at coatings and infrastructure rose 6%, the company said in a press release Thursday.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected Dow to earn 35 cents a share on revenue of $12.48 billion.
In an email to TheStreet, Dow said emerging markets accounted for about one-third of sales.Sales in emerging regions totaled $4.5 billion, a quarterly record, Dow said. Sales in Thailand rose 33%, while sales in India jumped 31%. "Dow is well-positioned for the improving economic climate and will continue to benefit from growth in high-margin sectors, such as electronics and packaging, driven by innovative products and technologies, coupled with our expanding presence in emerging markets," said Dow Chairman and CEO Andrew Liveris. Dow said fourth-quarter volume increased 12% at the company level vs. a year earlier, led by North America and Europe. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV