3. The Beach Boys have fun, fun, fun until daddy takes the songs away
Behind the Beach Boys' serene, laid-back West Coast surf sound was oceans of turmoil, but perhaps none of it would have been possible if not for the actions of manager Murry Wilson. The father of Beach Boys members Brian, Dennis and Carl Wilson, Murry decided in 1969 that the boys had peaked and decided to cash in by selling their Sea of Tunes publishing company and all the rights to their songs to A&M Records for a scant $750,000 -- or little more than $4 million adjusted for inflation.
Never mind that at the time his son Brian's mental health was deteriorating to the point that he'd spend three years in bed gorging himself on food and drugs, or that the Beach Boys' catalog at that time contained Surfin' USA, California Girls, I Get Around, Help Me Rhonda, Barbara Ann, Wouldn't It Be Nice, Good Vibrations and every other hit they'd ever written.
Wilson's relationship with his sons seemed to be built on a foundation of criticism and humiliation, based on beatings of the boys detailed in Brian Wilson's 1981 autobiography and a letter from Murry Wilson to his sons on Sea of Tunes letterhead and circulated last year in which he tells Brian "No matter how many hit songs you write or how many hundreds of thousands of dollars you may earn, you will find when you finish this short cycle of business success that you didn't do it honestly and for this reason you are going to suffer remorse."Murry died of a heart attack in 1973, while sons Dennis drowned in 1983 and Carl died of cancer in 1998. Brian Wilson eventually recuperated and sued for the rights in 1989, getting $25 million in royalties but losing on the publishing. Beach Boy Mike Love then sued Wilson for a piece of the take in 1992, getting $13 million for his trouble. That's a lot of darkness behind those sunny songs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV