Willie Nelson's tax woes
When you've been on the road as long as Willie Nelson has, even a multimillion-dollar mix-up with Uncle Sam is just another stop along the way. Way back in 1990, the Internal Revenue Service seized most of Nelson's assets and claimed he owed them $32 million in back taxes. Apparently, while Nelson was doing duets with Julio Iglesias and touring around with Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings and Kris Kristofferson, his accountants were back home doing exactly the opposite of what Nelson was paying them for and not filing his taxes for years at a time.
Instead of grousing about it, Nelson released a double album called The IRS Tapes: Who'll Buy My Memories? for $19.95 and used the proceeds to pay his debts. He also sued Price Waterhouse for steering him into tax shelters that were the equivalent of rice paper umbrellas -- getting a nice settlement out of the deal -- and auctioned off items that were later bought by friends. Nelson shook off the debt about three years later and, aside from the occasional marijuana-related jail stint and charity appeal, has been back on the road ever since.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV