NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Small-cap stocks were under pressure Tuesday with the Russell 2000 Index down 0.1% in afternoon trading, but a handful of stocks were bucking the trend.
Shares of Unisys (UIS) were seeing the biggest gains in the small-cap sector, rising 15.5% to $33.89 after its fourth-quarter earnings came in ahead of estimates. The tech company said it earned $95.2 million, or $2.29 per share, trouncing analyst estimates of 90 cents per share.
Shares of biopharma company MannKind (MNKD) were up 9.5% to $5.19 without any major news behind the move. CEO Alfred Mann has been buying the stock over the past several months and also bought more shares after U.S. regulators rejected its drug, Afrezza, that treats hypoglycemia, causing the stock to plummet.
The company is facing multiple lawsuits from investors alleging that it hyped the importance of the drug for its business but failed to disclose how risky the product was, among other things.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV