Caterpillar manufactures construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines and industrial gas turbines. The company's three major lines of business are machinery, engines and financial products. Nearly 57% of analysts covering the stock rate it a a buy while the remaining ones rate it a hold. There are no sell ratings on the stock. On average, analysts polled by Bloomberg believe the stock has potential upside of 15.1%.
Fourth-quarter net income quadrupled to $968 million, or $1.47 per share, while revenue was up 62% to $12.8 billion. For all of 2010, net profit increased 202% from 2009. Machinery sales of $8.57 billion and quarterly engine sales of $3.57 billion topped analyst's estimates during the quarter. Demand from Asia was higher than estimated.
Heading into 2011, sales and revenue are likely to surpass the $50 billion mark, and profit per share is seen at around $6. The company's guidance for 2011 includes the acquisition of Electro-Motive Diesel, but does not include the acquisitions of Motoren-Werke Mannheim Holding and Bucyrus International (BUCY) since the deals have not yet closed. Caterpillar plans $3 billion in capital expenditures in 2011 -- with more than half in the U.S.The company is focusing on China, where its capacity expansion will produce 60% more excavators, compared with 2010. In addition to Caterpillar's growth in emerging market, the company is now optimistic about the prospects in North America and Europe. Caterpillar will open a new manufacturing facility in Thailand to produce a full range of underground mining articulated trucks and loaders, with production scheduled for 2012 and expected to employ 800 people.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV