BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- Investment-bank Jefferies included six U.S. health-care stocks in its 2011 Top Picks List. All are expected to deliver double-digit percentage gains over the next 12 months. Health-care stocks have fallen out of favor recently as economic acceleration spurred a migration into riskier assets. But, with an aging baby-boomer population and increasing medical spending, the fundamental outlook for the health-care sector remains bright.
6. Pfizer (PFE) is the world's largest pharmaceutical company, having purchased Wyeth in 2009.
Pfizer reported quarterly results yesterday, posting 47 cents of adjusted earnings, which exceeded analysts' consensus target by 2.4%. Its top-line tally of nearly $18 billion beat expectations by 3.9%. Pfizer's stock rallied as much as 6% intraday on the solid report. Pfizer has been a consensus value pick for more than a year. It is perhaps the cheapest Dow stock, trading at a forward P/E of 8.2 and a book value multiple of 1.7, 31% and 73% peer group discounts.
Jefferies had a positive reaction to Pfizer's quarterly report. Although the drug-maker's 2011 guidance missed researchers' consensus, it sees share repurchases and a decrease in research and development expenses as catalysts for the stock. Furthermore, 2012 earnings guidance came in ahead of Jefferies' estimate. Pfizer has solidified its position as the pharmaceutical leviathan and a focus internally, rather than on further acquisition activity, should improve operating results going forward. Jefferies' $22 target suggests a 2011 return of 15%.Bullish Scenario: JPMorgan expects Pfizer to rise 25% to $24. Bearish Scenario: Citigroup predicts a fall of 12% to $17.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV