NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Wheat futures swung back to negative territory Tuesday as the political situation in Egypt remained unsettled.
Protests calling for the ouster of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak after 30 years in power continue in the country, which is the world's largest wheat importer. Mubarak has announced he will not seek re-election in September elections but the crowds don't appear to have been placated as yet.
Similar unrest has been spreading across the Middle East and North Africa as the masses lash out amid rising food and energy costs. Tunisia's government was dissolved on Jan. 14 following a revolt.
Wheat for March delivery fell 5 cents, or 0.6%, to $8.35 3/4 a bushel on Tuesday.Other grains such as soybeans and corn spiked as thousands of truck drivers and port workers went on strike in Argentina, preventing the shipment of grains from the country's main grain export center. The result was more demand for American grain exports. Corn for March delivery rose 6 ½ cents, or 1%, to $6.66 a bushel. Soybeans for March delivery rose 25 cents, or 1.8%, to $14.38 a bushel.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV