Ride the Super Bowl Coattails, Safe From Suits
People at businesses such as financial or technical services firms can use social media to discuss the Super Bowl and its advertisements or run contests, he adds, because "right now social media is still considered media in that it's protected by the First Amendment. Right now it's a way to promote
When crafting the goCharge promotion, King says, he did not contact the NFL for permission.
"We didn't think we were saying anything controversial or untrue. We're basically saying we're going to be there for you at the Super Bowl," he says.And that may be the best lesson goCharge can provide: For any event, business or known trademark such as "Super Bowl," think about what you're doing before you do it. "Use common sense. Think about what the NFL's interests are and see how others creatively get around using the brand names of the NFL. It is entirely possible to have a promotion that fairly clearly references the Super Bowl but doesn't step on the NFL's toes," Pelton says. "Basically the easiest thing to do is to avoid using team names, team logos and the phrase 'The Super Bowl' and any other trademarks that are protected." An NFL spokeswoman did not respond to an email sent by TheStreet. A representative of AT&T did not respond to a request for comment by email. -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. To contact the writer of this article, click here: Laurie Kulikowski. >To submit a news tip, email: email@example.com.
Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV