5 Financial Red Flags For Couples
Are you always footing the bill for the other person, and covering for them in what seems like never-ending "tough times"? If they are unemployed, or fighting to stay on top of a killer student loan, so be it. But if there is no offered explanation, be wary.
4. Continual use of your credit card
Is it your credit card that always gets tapped when your boyfriend or girlfriend orders off Amazon (AMZN)? When you are shopping, is there always an excuse for why he or she has to "borrow" your card ("Oops, I left mine at home again"). It may very well mean that your partner's cards are either maxed out or they fear being "rejected" at the register while you look on. Couples may live by the mantra of "share and share alike," but having only one half that does all the sharing is a bad omen.
Be especially wary if your partner frequently pulls your credit card (or cash) from your wallet without asking. Add to your concern if they fail to let you know they did so until after the bill comes in. They probably don't view it as stealing, and neither should you, necessarily. But the action does reveal a potentially fast, loose and unrestrained attitude toward spending (especially when it is other people's money).
5. Blaming everyone but themselves
Taking responsibility is crucial for anyone looking to fix financial blunders. Be wary if your loved one blames everyone but themselves for "mistakes."
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joe Mont. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/josephmont. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV