5 Financial Red Flags For Couples
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- You meet what seems like the perfect guy or gal. You are in love and ready for a commitment -- marriage, buying a home together, perhaps starting a family.
But something is not quite right. There are suspicious phone calls, with "wrong number" and "work related" offered as unconvincing explanations. Unfamiliar phone numbers are scattered in a cell phone's missed-calls log. Your partner appears way too eager to be the first one to the mailbox. Innocently peek inside their purse or wallet and the response is a snippy mix of defensiveness and sheepishness.
|Financial disputes can be hard on a relationship, but honest differences are one thing and deception from your partner is quite another.|
Are they cheating on you? Maybe. But it is also possible the "other" man or woman is a bill collector.Financial disputes can be hard on a relationship. When a penny-pincher and a shopping addict pair up, their monetary mindsets are sure to clash. Opposites may attract, but money differences can be a deal-breaker. Recognizing the early warning signs of financial incompatibility can, at the very least, force a needed dialogue and keep your good credit from being dragged through the mud once your money matters are commingled. An online poll of more than 2,000 adults commissioned by the Denver-based National Endowment for Financial Education in December found that 31% of people who combined finances with their significant other have been deceptive about money.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV