Understanding Candlestick Charts: Technical Primer
Despite its advances over the line chart, the candlestick chart is hardly a new invention. This charting method was developed in the 18th century Japan by rice traders.
Reading the Candle Stick Chart
Taking a look at a candlestick chart like the one above, the stock's overall price movement is fairly easy to spot, much like in a line chart. Unfortunately, that's the extent of most investors' understanding of candlestick charts.
So how do you glean all of that other information from a candlestick? Take a look at the diagram below:
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV