Superconductor Technologies Inc. Produces 2G HTS Wire Samples For Superconducting High Power Transmission Cable, Fault Current Limiter And Wind Turbine Generator Applications
SANTA BARBARA, Calif., Feb. 1, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Superconductor Technologies Inc. (Nasdaq:SCON) ("STI"), a world leader in the development and production of high temperature superconducting (HTS) materials and associated technologies, has successfully produced second generation (2G) HTS wire samples that meet requirements specified by customers for HTS AC power cable, superconducting fault current limiter (SFCL) and HTS wind turbine applications. Delivery of the samples for customer testing is expected to begin shortly. STI's strategic 2G HTS wire program utilizes its specialized HTS material deposition processes and volume manufacturing expertise to produce energy efficient, cost-effective and high performance HTS wire for next generation power applications and other attractive new markets.
Jeff Quiram, STI's president and chief executive officer, said, "Achieving our goal of completing all three wire samples is an enormous accomplishment for STI's 2G HTS wire initiative. Each application has demanding technical requirements and our team worked very hard over the recent months to meet these wire performance objectives. We look forward to building on this success as we move closer to establishing future commercial relationships with our valued customers."
STI's 2G HTS wire product development is focused on large markets where the advantages of HTS wire are recognized by the industry. STI's initial product roadmap targets three important applications:
- Superconducting High Power Transmission Cables: HTS advanced power transmission cable transmits five to twenty times the electrical power of traditional copper or aluminum cables with much improved efficiency.
- Superconducting Fault Current Limiters (SFCL): SFCLs act like powerful surge protectors, preventing harmful faults from taking down costly substation equipment. SFCLs enable the energy efficient connections of distributed power sources to the grid, fast reliable grid protection, and utilize smart grid design criteria.
- Superconducting Wind Turbine Generators: Superconducting wind turbines allow utilities to add more "power per tower" by significantly reducing turbine size and weight and improving power generation efficiency.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV