BP posted fourth-quarter earnings of $5.57 billion vs. $4.295 billion a year earlier. Fourth-quarter earnings include a charge of $1 billion related to the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
Replacement cost profit was $4.61 billion vs. $3.45 billion. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected replacement cost profit in the fourth quarter of $5.09 billion.
BP reported a 2010 loss of $3.72 billion. The charge related to the oil spill for 2010 was $40.9 billion.BP's fourth-quarter dividend of 7 cents a share will be its first since it suspended dividends in June 2010 following the well disaster. The dividend is half of what it paid in the fourth quarter of 2009. "We believe now is the right time to resume payment of a dividend to our shareholders," said BP Chairman Carl-Henric Svanberg, in a statement Tuesday. "We have chosen a prudent level that reflects the company's strong underlying financial and operating performance but also recognizes the need to fully meet our obligations in the Gulf of Mexico and to maintain financial flexibility." The oil company said it intends to "grow the dividend level over time, in line with the improving circumstances of the company." BP said it plans to seek buyers for its Texas City, Texas, refinery and the Carson refinery near Los Angeles, along with its associated marketing business in southern California, Arizona, and Nevada. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV