7. Kohl's (KSS) is a discount department store. It has been an outstanding performer, based on fundamentals, during and since the recession.
Kohl's has expanded sales 3.1% annually, on average, over the past three years as its stock rose 5.6% a year. But, in the past 12 months, investors have favored specialty retailers leveraged to the economic cycle. Goldman is still bullish on Kohl's due to its accelerated share repurchase program, which it believes will bolster fiscal fourth-quarter earnings per share, which will be announced on Feb. 24. It also sees upcoming brand launches, such as the recently-announced Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony partnerships, as catalysts for the stock. More relevant: Kohl's trades at a discount to retail peers.
The stock sells for a trailing earnings multiple of 15, a forward earnings multiple of 12, a book value multiple of 1.9 and a cash flow multiple of 9.8, all discounts to multiline retail industry averages. Kohl's 10% trailing 12-month operating margin ranks in the 90th percentile for its industry. A $61 target implies 19% upside.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV