8. Starwood Hotels & Resorts (HOT) owns and operates hotel properties under the St. Regis, W, Westin, Four Points and Sheraton names. Goldman is "bullish on the current hotel cycle" and calls Starwood its "top pick across the coverage space" for an upward cycle that will be "strong and long."
Starwood delivered a third-quarter GAAP loss of $6 million, or three cents a share, but its stock has risen an eye-catching 77% in the past 12 months. Given the outperformance, analysts offer a middling view, with 17, or 58%, rating it "buy" and 12 ranking it "hold."
Goldman cites a recent 8% hotel-cost cut as a permanent, structural boost to profit margins and the stock price. It also believes that Starwood's foothold in India and China put it "in a unique position to not only benefit from intra-country travel in those markets, but also outbound travel" because of brand recognition. Construction data, signaling stagnant hotel supply, and consumer data, pointing to looser purse strings, strengthen the bank's thesis. Following Starwood's analyst day in early December, Goldman boosted its target to $70, implying 18% of upside.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV