9. Nike (NKE) was removed from Goldman's Conviction Buy List on Jan. 3, but retained its "buy" rating. Goldman still believes that Nike's story is compelling, but is now overly-appreciated by investors. Nike is one of the world's most recognizable brands in footwear, sportswear and apparel.
It has grown sales and earnings per share 4.6% and 7.2% annually, on average, over a three-year period. The stock has risen 29% in the past 12 months, but it now costs 16-times forward earnings and 16-times cash flow, only modest apparel peer group discounts.
Goldman's $95 target suggests another 16% of upside in Nike's shares, which are generally favored by analysts. Currently, 14 researchers rate them "buy" and six rate them "hold." Nike receives no "sell" ratings. Both Credit Suisse and Barclays are predicting an advance of 21% to $100. Goldman sees multiple sales drivers over the next 12 months, including an accelerating product cycle and exposure to burgeoning international markets, with nearly 50% of sales coming from outside of the U.S. Furthermore, Nike is more insulated from cotton, which is on a run, than many of its competitors and it has a diverse sourcing base, which should help profit margins remain afloat.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV