When one thinks of Egyptian products, Pima cotton comes to mind.
"You know the kind that makes you feel like you're sleeping on butter," says Suzanne Johnson of First Capital Group. But she says that Egypt is a small producer in the big scheme of things. "If it were India, maybe I'd be concerned," said Johnson. So cotton should not be affected by this.
However, wheat prices are falling on the political unrest. According to the U.S. Commercial Service, Egypt is one of the world's largest consumers of wheat and a key market for U.S. wheat farmers.The U.S. wheat, corn and soybean market is roughly $2 billion a year, and wheat has already fallen 2.4% on fears of less purchasing. That isn't expected to last for long. While in the near term there may not be a governmental mechanism to purchase wheat, it's expected that eventually people will need the grain and the market will open back up. Archer Daniels Midland (ADM ) was trading up on Monday, whereas ConAgra (CAG ) was off slightly. --Written by Debra Borchardt in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Debra Borchardt. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/wallandbroad. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV