Oil was the most affected piece of the market as a result of the uprising. Brent crude oil futures jumped over $100 a barrel for the first time in 28 months. The last time crude hit $100 a barrel was on Oct. 1, 2008.
The concern is getting oil shipped through the Suez Canal. Traders worry that instability in Egypt will spill over to other Middle Eastern countries and disrupt the flow of oil out of the region. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, Egypt has the largest oil refining industry in Africa and Egypt's Sumed Pipeline also provides a pipeline network for exports to Europe .
Apache Oil (APA) has 25% exposure to Egypt. Real Money contributor Dan Dicker believes that if an investor has the risk tolerance -- Apache could present an opportunity. He is clear that risks abound, i.e. a new government might not feel obligated to meet previous contractual responsibilities to Western companies. He feels a rebound in the stock from last week's panic and stability in the trading could present a buying opportunity.Another dynamic in the energy sector is M&A activity. Chinese offshore oil producer CNOOC (CEO) agreed to a $1.3 billion deal with Chesapeake (CHK), continuing its aggressive drive for acquisitions. Further driving up the price of oil and oil companies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV