Egypt's Mubarak Appoints New Staff
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Following five days of violent protests that have seen at least 40 people killed and thousands more injured, Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak appointed Omar Suleiman, the head of the country's intelligence services, as vice president, according to media reports.
Mubarak hasn't had a vice president since he took office 30 years ago; he was reportedly grooming his son, Gamal, to be his successor, a move that that the public opposed, reported The Washington Post.
Suleiman's appointment, which occurred as thousands of young, anti-government protesters gathered in central Cairo Saturday despite a military-imposed curfew, marks the transition of power from Mubarak to Suleiman, said Bloomberg.
|Demonstrators deface a poster of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak in Alexandria, Egypt.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV