Plains Exploration & Production (PXP) earned a $36 price target worth a 13% premium at the time of Goldman Sachs' rating. The independent oil and gas company, with a market value of $4.6 billion, is engaged in acquiring, exploring and producing oil and gas fields predominantly in California, but also in Texas, Louisiana and the Gulf of Mexico.
Fourth-quarter earnings are due Feb. 24, and are estimated at 31 cents per share, which would bring 2010 earnings to $1.18 per share. For fiscal 2011, analysts estimate that earnings per share will increase 52% to $1.79.
Morningstar says the company is on a diversity kick and acquiring assets throughout the world."Not only has the firm managed to increase production more than 50% during this time, but it has also accumulated many other growth opportunities. All the while, the company has been able to improve its cost structure." Its largest investors are SAC Capital Management, at 6.6%, followed by Soros Fund Management, at 4.8%. A summary of analysts' views collected by S&P resulted in four "buy" ratings, nine "buy/holds" and five "holds." Its shares are up 5.4% this year and rose 16% in 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV