Occidental Petroleum (OXY), one of the largest oil and gas companies in the U.S., and with global exploration interests, gets some of the strongest ratings from Goldman, as well as a $105 price target, worth a 6% premium one month ago.
The company just reported fourth-quarter earnings of $1.61 per share, easily besting the Thomson Reuters consensus of $1.55. Income from continuing operations was $1.2 billion, a 29% increase from a year earlier, as a result of higher oil prices and increased production volumes, which were offset by lower natural gas prices. Standard & Poor's said analysts' consensus estimates for fiscal 2011 is for 30% earnings growth to $7.33 per share.
Goldman says the company shows several positive trends, including return on capital, a strong production outlook, a healthy balance sheet and substantial cash flow.And Occidental Petroleum's recent announcement that it is moving forward with a huge shale oil-development program in California should fuel long-term prospects once it gets into production. But Standard & Poor's analysts have its shares rated "hold," noting that: "We believe its strengths are limited by participation in volatile, competitive and capital-intensive businesses, and (it has) a penchant for debt-financed acquisitions." A summary of analysts' ratings by S&P resulted in seven "buy" ratings, 12 "buy/holds" and five "holds." Shares are down 1% this year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV