International Tower's proximity to Kinross' Fort Knox mine is also a big plus because one can see what Tower Hill can grow into. Kinross has been successful at producing low grade profitable gold.
In the third quarter, Fort Knox produced 108,680 ounces of gold and gold equivalents with a grade of 0.96 for $501 cash costs. After expanding the project, Kinross is expecting to produce an average of 370,000 ounces of gold per year from 2010-2015. It has proven and probable reserves of 3.7 million ounces.
NovaGold, on the flip side, has limited infrastructure and, according to the company's Web site, needs a river port; an access road connecting the port and Donlin; an airstrip, mine and plant site area; and gas and power facilities. The company is planning to build a natural gas pipeline to save on future costs and is in the process of updating its feasibility study with revised capital and operating costs factoring in the pipeline. The new energy input should shave off $50 from its cash costs.
NovaGold must also contend with local communities and has had to work hard at maintaining good relationships with them. Donlin still has to go through the permitting process, full Environmental Protection Agency process and a full blown environmental impact statement.International Tower has the same permitting process ahead of it, but its nearest community is 40 miles away, making it less susceptible to environmental issues. Handwerger says for someone wanting to invest in Alaska, International Tower Hill makes the most sense. "The problem with the two other major projects
|More on Gold Gold Price News|
|How to Invest in Gold|
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Alix Steel. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adsteel. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV