More than a thousand protesters have reportedly been arrested or beaten since the protests began, and so far 10 people are thought to have been killed.
Activists have turned to social networking sites to conjure up fresh demonstrations. Many riots have been organized and made public via social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter. Demonstrators have taken to the Internet to post countless photos and videos showing the violence that has erupted in Egypt.
Reports claim that the Egyptian government has censored social media sites and deactivated cell phone relay towers in order to thwart the attempts to publicize the protests in Cairo, Alexandria, and other Egyptian cities.
Video footage shows scenes of chaos and violence as thousands of policemen, backed by armored vehicles, are seen clashing with protesters in an attempt to disperse the crowds that are gathering throughout the nation's major streets, bridges and intersections.Several videos show riot police with helmets and shields firing tear gas at crowds or blasting demonstrators with water cannons. Two Egyptian protesters were killed in an anti-government demonstration in Suez, Egypt, on Tuesday, while a policeman died during a protest in Cairo, Reuters reported, citing an Egyptian Interior Ministry official. Officials say one protester died as a result of tear gas inhalation while the other was killed by a rock thrown during the protest. The policeman who died in Cairo was also hit in the head by a rock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV